Am I a Candidate ?
Weight loss surgery can be an effective option for those who are morbidly obese and have not lost significant amounts of weight through traditional methods such as diet and exercise. It can be a life-saving, and life-changing, procedure that saves you from the many conditions and health-risks morbid obesity can cause, as well as helping you to attain a slimmer physique and an improved self-esteem.
Weight loss surgery is not for everyone, and there are specific requirements that one must meet in order to qualify for surgery.
The following information can help you to determine if you qualify for weight loss surgery:
Here is a list of some of the requirements for surgical weight loss procedures to combat morbid obesity:
- Patients should be between the ages of 18 and 65
- Patients should be free from dependence on drugs or alcohol
- Patients should have a body mass index of 35 or higher
- Patients should be physically, emotionally, and psychologically able to undergo surgery and the lifestyle changes necessary for effective results
- Patients should have made previous attempts at losing weight through more traditional means
- Patients should have realistic expectations and goals for results